I hope you've all been enjoying this beautiful October weather! What a wonderful year we've had so far!
We were fortunate enough to have Shelly from Kinark in today to do a Peer Awareness session with our students, to help them understand how students with sensory sensitivities might perceive various tasks. Please talk to your child about his or her favourite activity from this morning:
- skipping with yarn
- completing a puzzle together without talking
- reading and writing with glasses that have the lenses scratched up
- stringing beads while wearing gardening gloves
Our students were able to recognize how frustrating it might be to struggle with some of these items for a short time. Our hopes are that they will be more empathetic toward students who may struggle with these sensory issues on a more regular basis. Thank you to our students for participating in such an active way! For pictures, please see the Remind feed at the right of the blog (or join us on remind and get the pics and updates as they happen!).
I've had some inquiries about our schedule, and would like to clarify a few items:
- with the addition of so many students and classes to our school, we will have an alternating Gym schedule with two Gym periods in Week A and one Gym period in Week B (this is to maximize the gym use for all 35+ classes).This week, we will have Gym in the first period on Day 2 and Day 3. Next 5-day cycle we will have Gym in the first period on Day 2 only.
- a new (and hopefully relatively finalized!) schedule will be coming home in the next week.
Please remember to send in Dance-a-thon permission and pledge forms!
Also, tomorrow's a PD day, so students get to stay home :)
Have a great day,